Thursday, March 22, 2012

Happiness is a choice

Today has been a little bit rocky. It started last night with a painful toothache, and continued today with an equally painful trip to the dentist that left one side of my face numb and achy. Oh, so fun.

I've been moping around the house while Dallin is at work feeling sorry for myself most of the day today. I'd probably still be moping if I didn't have this quote pop into my head that my sister had on the mirror in our room years ago. 

"Happiness is a choice that requires effort sometimes."
-Aeschylus

I just love that quote. Aren't those wise words? I believe that happiness is something that you choose to have in your life, even when circumstances make it easy to do otherwise. It just takes a bit of work, which is worth it, right?

And it came to pass that I decided to make today a happy one. Here's how I did it.

Step one: Get off the couch and do something... besides playing angry birds -- that doesn't count. ;) My kitchen was a bit messy, and there were some dishes to be done, so I got to work on that. Funny how much better one feels about oneself when they do something productive. I'm pretty sure that doing some kind of cleaning of organizing is one of the quickest ways to get myself out of a "poor me" funk.

Step two: Turn on some music that I love. Piano music is one of my favorite things in the entire world, and thanks to sites like pandora.com and grooveshark.com I have all I could ever want at my fingertips! Beautiful music in my ears makes everything better.

Speaking of beautiful music, here is a sample from The Piano Guys (a musical group Jon Schmidt is a part of that includes cello... my second favorite instrument) that I love. Enjoy. :)


Step three: Crack open some of the many books on my bookshelf that have been neglected for too long. I used to read all the time... at least 1-2 books a week. That number declined rapidly once I started college, since I had papers to write an textbooks to study and tests to prepare for. There's just something about books that always makes me happy. It's my "thing". Now that I actually have the time to read I need to do it more often!

I need to wrap this up, but before I do I just had to brag about my husband who was willing to help me get comfortable and back to sleep last night when I was in a lot of pain, even though it was 2:00am. He's a keeper. :)

Also, I love this image. Sums up my feelings nicely. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment