Saturday, February 16, 2013

Bacon roses {Pin a week 7/52}

Check out the awesome gift I gave my dear, meat-loving husband for Valentine's Day! 


We both got a kick out of it. :) Although I'm pretty sure I think it is funnier than anyone else does... haha!

This was so easy to make, even easier than I thought it would be! I saw a few tutorials on pinterest (this one is pretty good) but ended up kind of doing my own thing. This tutorial tells you to drill a hole in a muffin tin and use that to bake the bacon, but I just used an oven-safe cooling rack and it worked perfectly. 

If you want to make your own, here's what I did! 

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Cover a cookie sheet with foil (to make cleanup easier) and put an oven-safe cooling rack on top.

2. Roll up the bacon and place it on end on the cooling rack. Bake for about 30-40 minutes, depending on your oven. A couple of them started coming unrolled so I laid them on their sides for a few minutes.

3. While it bakes, get your stems ready. I used a 97¢ spray of roses from Walmart and it worked great! I pulled off the roses, removed the petals and the red plastic pieces, and then re-attached the green parts. Wedge a toothpick in the middle to keep the bacon secured.

4. When the bacon looks done, take it out of the oven and let it cool, and then put your bacon buds (catchy, right?) on the stems with the toothpick in the center.

Voila!


Nothing says "I love you" like bacon, right? :)

2 comments:

  1. What a waste of a muffin tin!! Unless you plan on making bacon roses frequently haha. Glad you figured out a workaround. I don't eat meat anymore, but that's quite hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh.. My husband would've DIED over these! Now I feel like a bad wife... Haha. I will have to make these next time!

    ReplyDelete