Monday, October 6, 2014

On making happiness

Of all the lessons I've learned in life thus far, I think one of the most important ones has been learning how to be happy. Lately I've really begun to understand that happiness is almost always the result of your own actions and choices. It isn't something you should just wait for, hoping it will be delivered to your doorstep wrapped in silver paper. It's something you have to make for yourself.

Being happy has been a bit harder for me sometimes after having Eli. I know I had post-partum depression which made for a lot of very difficult days, and even now – 7.5 months later – I still have moments when it comes back a little bit, but thankfully not very often. I'm pretty sure I don't have depression (meaning MDD), but at times it is easy to fall into a rut that is difficult for me to escape from. On the bright side, I'm figuring out how to avoid that, and I've been doing really well lately. Yippee!

For me personally, here are some things essential to my daily happiness:

  • A hot shower. Ideally a long one, but even five minutes is enough to improve my mood.
  • Getting out of the house, at least every other day, even if that just means a walk around the block.
  • Speaking of walking, I have to get some kind of exercise. Walking, pretending I am a runner (also known as pretty much walking. It's a struggle.), and yoga are my current exercises of choice. I notice a huge difference in my mood when I don't do something active. Even walking around the store helps!
  • Eating well. Junk food makes me feel gross and grumpy. The more fresh fruits, veggies, and water I consume, the better I feel.
  • But I also believe in balance, and that a few chocolate chips or a spoonful of ice cream can go a loooooong way. Amen. ;)
  • Getting sleep. I get what I can, which hasn't been that great lately, but I think it's getting better! I only had to get up once last night! Hopefully I don't jinx it.
  • Doing something for someone else. Usually this tends to be focused on Eli and Dallin, but I'm trying to be more aware of people outside my family. Making other people happy always makes me happy.
  • Personal scripture study and prayer. Can I be honest for a second? Ever since Eli was born I have been lousy at reading the scriptures on my own. Dallin and I are pretty consistent about reading a chapter together at night, but lately that's all I've been doing. Same story with prayer. When I really take the time to study and ponder and sincerely pray, my day is so much better... every single time. I'm improving in this area, but I still have a long way to go! How do you remember to read? What time usually works best for you? I could use some suggestions in this area!
Well, there you have it. There are a few of the things I do to be happy. It's been working for me... what works for you?

And just because we all know I can't resist posting pictures of my favorite little babe:



Oh that boy. He makes me happy and drive me bonkers all at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. I love this list. I've been the same way, trying to figure out what things I can do to help my happiness levels stay as high as possible...or at least keep the depression at bay. I should do better about the scriptures and prayers; that's been my weakness lately. Showering daily, though? That I've got down. :)

    ReplyDelete