Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Wanderlust

The travel bug has bitten me in a major way the past few weeks. I've always got the itch, but recently I just cannot ignore it. Last month I found plane tickets for all three of us to Italy for only $1,700 (Roundtrip! For all of us! Such a smoking deal!), and it's kind of killing me that a trip like that really isn't in the cards for us right now. Oh, but I dream. I've been spending altogether too much time lately planning trips we won't be able to go on (yet!). It's both torturous and satisfying. I should probably stop before I accidentally-on-purpose book something.

I love being a mother. I really, really do. I always wanted this, and I wouldn't trade my job for anything. At the same time, I do occasionally think about the lifestyle I kissed goodbye when I assumed this role. There is a level of spontaneity and flexibility that you lose when you have a tiny human that depends on you, and sometimes I miss that a lot. I miss being able to take trips without needing babysitting arrangements (which we can't do anyway until Eli is weaned) or planning around the unpredictable nature of traveling with a wee one. 

We still do lots of fun things as a family, but I haven't been canyoneering once in more than a year and a half, something that Dallin and I used to do together at least a couple times a month. We also have so many places we want to go together (Italy/the Mediterranean and Peru are at the top of the list) that realistically won't be a possibility until our kids are older... so 15 years from now, at least? 

In the meantime, I just have to remember how much fun it is the have our little buddy along, and how much more fun we will have when we starting adding more little munchkins. Even though we have to slow our pace a bit, our lives are so much better with Eli around, and that makes any sacrifices we've had to make worth it. It's not like we can't have fun anymore, not one bit. It's just a different kind of fun now, one that makes us take time to smell the roses, so to speak. And that's a good thing.

But still, I miss this...

(Voronezh, Russia in 2011)

...and this.

(Segovia, Spain in 2013)

And I'm glad I had a few chances to scratch that travel itch before little Eli came along.

4 comments:

  1. So so so agree with you. Chris and I are trying to gather enough gumption to go on get-a-way with the boys. After our first big trip with Jack, we decided that it felt more like a business trip than vacation. SInce then, we've only gone to Mountain-town get-a-ways here in Colorado. But the travel itch is really getting to us...we're hoping to go somewhere low-key, relaxing, warm and friendly to have small kiddos. Do you use any particular sites when dreaming about vacations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I understand that feeling well! But as you know, I do not fear traveling with children. I love this poem:

    You are the trip I did not take, you are the pearls I could not buy,
    you are my blue Italian lake, you are my piece of foreign sky.

    You are my Honolulu moon, you are the book I did not write,
    you are my heart's unuttered tune, you are a candle in my night.

    You are the flower beneath the snow, in my dark sky a bit of blue,
    answering disappointment's blow with "I am happy! I have you!”


    ― Anne Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  3. We usually use Expedia, but lately I've been loving Kayak! And Travelzoo is great for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about this post for, what, almost two weeks now? And how desperately I agree with you. It seems like so many people are going on amazing adventures and I'm just not. So I either need to get brave and travel with my littles, or suck it up and enjoy the here and now. And neither option is my favorite. How bad would it be if I ran away for like a week?

    ReplyDelete