Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Durfventures in Spain (Part 1)


The night before we left for Spain, we grabbed some Panda Express and I got this fortune. 

Fitting, don't you think? 


I took this advice (side note: I think they should call them "advice cookies" instead... much more accurate) and was not disappointed in the slightest. 

Spain was beautiful and we had a splendid time seeing the sights, visiting friends from Dallin's mission, and eating an abundance of delicious food. I'm so glad we were able to go! It was a perfect trip. We only got a little lost once (truly a miracle since the roads there are a tangled mess!), and even though we were jet lagged pretty much the whole time we still had lots of fun.
Sunrise over the clouds on the flight there.

My first view of Spain from the plane... so purty!


Our first order of business once we landed in Madrid and dropped off our luggage at the hotel was head to church since we got there Sunday morning. Conveniently, the church, MTC, and temple are all right next to each other so we got to start off our trip with this beautiful view. 

Madrid, Spain Temple



This temple is stunning. The marble exterior and the walkways are such a bright white that it is hard to keep your eyes open at all when the sun is out which is quite the effect. I think I understand what it means to be "above the brightness of the sun" a little better after frying my eyeballs trying to keep them open. 

It was amazing to feel the difference between being on the metro/street and the temple grounds. There is such a feeling of peace, tranquility, and security -- just like coming home. One of the things I love most about traveling, especially abroad, is experiencing this wherever I go. I remember attending church for the first time in Russia and the relief I felt when I walked in was so overwhelming. It was nice to feel that here too!



Anyway, after that we spent the rest of the day walking around the city. Here are some of the sights we saw!

First, The Almudena Cathedral, or the Royal Cathedral. It took them 110 years to complete this thanks to a civil war that really did a number on the country in the 1930s. In the middle of construction they changed the plans from a more Gothic design to what you see here. It's really an interesting mix of old and new, especially inside! More on that later including pictures of the amazing roof inside. 
(I'm trying to do this chronologically and we didn't go in until the end of the week)




There were lots of street musicians and people doing all kinds of crazy stuff to make money, including this guy that was making these huge bubbles on the plaza between the cathedral and the royal palace that you can see in the background. 


This lady tried a slightly different tactic by dressing up in tan clothing and covering herself with sand from head to toe. I haven't been able to find a good job here so maybe I should see if this is a good option for gainful employment? (Answer: No.)

Interesting...

Plaza Mayor. There were cool plazas everywhere! 

(Fun fact:  a few movies have been filmed here including Vantage Point.)


Cool metro entrance at Plaza del Sol, which is kind of like the Times Square of Spain. 


I must say that Russia really spoiled me when it comes to the metro. The stations there are absolutely amazing, beautifully designed and full of art, while the metro in Spain is functional... the end. Apparently when Dallin was on his mission you could still smoke in here, and I am most grateful that is now illegal.


This is a post office... can you believe it?! I'm quite certain this is the most beautiful post office I have ever seen. 


Here's where Dallin made his first contact on his mission. :)


Lots of green and pretty things everywhere! Also, Spaniards really seem to like fountains because there were lots of them. Fountains and roses and statues everywhere. 





One of Dallin's former mission apartments!


Those things that look like huge chocolate cookies are palmeras. We ate lots of them because they are flipping amazing. :) It is a flaky pastry covered in amazing chocolate, and just thinking about them is makin' me hungry so let's move on, shall we?


Neither of us have ever really had any issues with jet lag... except for this trip. I had no idea it was possible to be so tired and yet somehow still be (kind of) awake. It is pretty rude to yawn without covering your mouth in Spain, so my hand was over my face most of the day, or at least that is how it felt! 

Mid-afternoon we couldn't take it anymore and went to our hotel to crash before waking up bright and early for our drive to beautiful Mérida the next day!

...to be continued.

1 comment: