Friday, September 26, 2014

Marriage does not suck

I married at a fairly young age. When I met Dallin, I was only nineteen, and we tied the knot when I was the ripe old age of twenty. 



Once we started dating seriously, I couldn't believe the "advice" that started coming in. There was so much negativity people were spreading about marriage. Once we were engaged, it really started raining down. Total strangers would counsel me to "just wait a while" before I supposedly kissed the good life goodbye and assumed a permanent ball and chain. 

To be honest, it freaked me out a little.

I know I was young and naive, but still I think I had a decent idea of what I was getting into. I had been looking forward to becoming a wife for as long as I could remember. I was lucky blessed enough to find the kind of man I always hoped I would find, someone that loved and respected me, who made me happy and kept me laughing. I'd found him, so why wouldn't I marry him? I'll admit there were times when the negative comments would get to me, and I would second-guess my decision. 

I'm so thankful I stuck to my guns though, because you know what? Marriage is freaking awesome

I know it isn't that way for everyone. Unfortunately it isn't always a happy ending. But if you find the right person, marriage can be the beginning of a fantastic life, not the end. I can honestly say, without reservation, that my life is so much happier, better, and more fulfilling than it was when I was single. I mean, I get to be with my bestest buddy every day. I can be myself – my dorky, unfiltered self –around him, and that's a big deal for me. We do almost everything together, from hot dates, to fun trips, to thrilling events like running to Walmart for that gallon of milk I forgot to pick up. Dallin keeps me laughing because he is funny, and I keep him laughing because of my rather blonde, klutzy tendencies. When my back has an itch, he can scratch it. When he needs an errand run, I am there to help. We each have responsibilities that help keep our household running smoothly. It's a perfect system for fulfilling all of our needs and helping us to be the happiest humans we can possibly be. Seriously folks, being married is the bomb diggity. 

I’m not saying it's always easy. It certainly requires work, forgiveness, sacrifice, and patience, but it is all worth it. So worth it. 

5 comments:

  1. Amen sister! I love reading positive posts like these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post!! I met my husband when I was 18 and although we weren't married until I was 22, I still highly recommend it to anyone and everyone!!

    Ps I just found your blog and I am in love!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! A friend and I were talking the other day about silly things married couples do, and how much marriage rocks because you can be completely yourself, and silly, and you're best friends, partners in crime, and teammates in life. Good thing you guys are a good-looking couple too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to everything. What can be better than living with your best friend? And when you marry young, you get to grow up together. It's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete