Thursday, February 6, 2014

I have a problem.

In case you've missed the somewhat obnoxious amount of pregnancy talk around this little old blog of mine (That's just all I think about nowadays... #sorrynotsorry), I'm having a baby. Like... any day now. I'm a baby making time bomb. 

Now. I've been pregnant for a long time. 38.5 weeks, to be precise. I've also known that I wanted to have children since... well, since as long as I can remember. Even though I can hardly believe that the time is (pretty much) already here, I can't say I haven't been looking forward to it for quite some time. I've been preparing in many ways over the past 20-something years to have this kiddo. I'm as ready as I'll ever be. My bag is packed, the nursery is ready, I've got some freezer meals ready to go, I'm stocked up on a few months worth of household supplies, I've read the birthing books I wanted to read, many prayers have been prayed, many deep breaths taken, and it's pretty much just a waiting game from here on out. 

Except for one thing: I still don't know what the heck we're going to name this child. 

I had no idea it would be such a task to pick out a name, but when you look at the criteria it needs to fit I guess it isn't a surprise. 

  • We both have to like it (and apparently we're both pickier than we thought)
  • It can't be too popular or trendy
  • First name must be more than one syllable 
  • Initials can't spell out anything weird (and there's a lot of three-letter words that end in D, by the way. Sad. Mad. Bad. Dad. Fad. Wad. Lid. Kid. God. Bed. You get the idea.)
  • We can't have any negative associations with the name (Who knew there were so many people we didn't like? Just kidding... kind of.)
  • No gender neutral names
  • Nothing too difficult to pronounce or spell
  • Something that won't sound ridiculous when he's a grown-up

I'm sure there's more, but those are the main requirements. Basically, we both want something that is a good, solid, dependable name... yet isn't overused. 

In other words, we'll probably end up just giving our kids numbers instead of names. Why not simplify things, right? 

Or maybe when we meet him one of the names we've been throwing around will just click. I hope so. 

Just in case... any suggestions? Any other good websites beside whatalovelyname.com and nameberry.com?

Name WIN

Also, it's a good thing our last name isn't "Knight" or else my husband might be tempted. 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds just like our list! I'm still voting for Canyon. Have you looked at Russian possibilities? Maybe Dmitry? Bogumil? Igor? Gleb? Fyodor? Also, little Jed I is super cute!

    ReplyDelete